Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Claiming of the Tree

This is the first Christmas we will spend in Virginia. I've been here for 12 years (gasp) and we've always driven to Ohio. While it will be different in many ways, we decided one thing we wanted to do is to be Christmas tree gluttons. Not only do we have the fake fancy tree already set-up, we wanted to actually buy a real one this year and to top it off, cut it down ourselves just like the pioneers - or the Griswolds, take your pick- did. It was a really fun day and a tradition I could see moving forward.
 
Bridget and Julia. I love their faces - elves up to trouble.
 SK looks like just a sweetie in this pic. I joked on Facebook that he wore the Brit flag on his jumper in honor of the royal babe on the way. Evidently a few folks haven't heard that Kate and William are expecting and thought I was expecting a third royal babe. Don't believe the rumors.

This must be the holiday version of bunny ears.

Our first Christmas tree farm stop. Although Sam may have found a tree, we didn't leave this farm with one.


Two videos of the ceremonious cutting of the tree. It's hard to hear Bridget, but she must have believe Sam needed comforting. You can barely hear her - but she's telling him he is very brave.
 
 One of the few attempts at getting a family pic. At least two of the four are looking at the camera.
 Daddy and B super proud after claiming our tree. And, note, we got an orange tag clearance once that others were buzzarding around. Daddy was pretty proud of his find.
 Sweet. Looking lovey...for a moment.
The Diehls! Julia has a new baby sister, Schulyer who was an angel the entire time. Joan was sweet enough to pack us all lunch and bring some festive drinks for the birthday girl. Thanks, Joan and Brian for making it an awesome day. Maybe I should also thank you for the 60 degree weather you conjured up for my birthday!