Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kindergarten Remembered

So, now that B is to the age where she is actually remembering things (cue a therapist), Marc and I decided to take a trip back down memory lane to what we can recall from Kindergarten or simply just being five. For the record, we could be one of the few Mr & Mrs that actually went to the same Kindergarten, the same elementary, the same high school and yes, the same college. So, for the purpose of K, we both attended West Elementary and had the darling Mrs. Weaver as our teacher. Not the same year, of course, as I am much, much younger than he is.

Marc's Kindergarten and 5-Year-Old Memories:

My mom warning me about strangers in kidnapper vans offering candy. (I walked 1/10 of a mile from Kindergarten to the babysitter's by myself.)
- Standing up in my dad's 1960 Corvette convertible hanging onto the top of the windshield going 50 MPH on the way to the ball park...2 seater, my 9 yr old brother was shotgun and no seat belts were required.
- Riding on my dad's lap while he rode the riding mower cutting the grass.
-  Learning to use the phone and calling my mother VERY often at the office to ask what she was doing. It was 256-7711, seriously.
- I was on the verge of bicycle's training being removed and I was excited, but scared.
-  Sno cones were yummy after baseball games.
- We had a kid's bible that my mom would read to me that was 3 1/2 inches thick.

Jamie's Kindergarten and 5-Year-Old Memories:

- Bringing my brother for show-n-tell.
- Loving Mr. F - Mr. Funnyfeet. I remember so badly wanting him to be real.
- Having a key chain where we kept cards about things we learned like phone number, address and birthdays.
- Stalking Chris Schwemba (spelling?! Clearly I was not going to be his Mrs since I can't spell his last name). I did end up kissing him near a window in our classroom while Sandy Weichers blocked him from leaving.
- Getting a bloody nose.
- Winning a coloring contest from Bernicke's Supermarket. I got called to the teacher's lounge and one of the teachers that was helping me was smoking the longest cigarette I have ever seen. It was in one of those fancy holders. I can recall that scene so vividly.
- Getting our boxer, Bandit.
- Having the leprechauns destroy our classroom, but leave us green cake and gold rocks.
- Crying because I did not want my brother to be a part of my Strawberry Shortcake birthday party.
- Playing with my BFF Jill and arguing over the colors red and blue.

So here's to you, Bridgie. May you color your bestest, eat your first sno-cone, learn to love a letter, love your BFF and get rid of your training wheels. And, may you not get a bloody nose, a dog (!) or ride in a car without a seatbelt.