Back in September when B declared she wanted to be Captain America Girl, I was still pushing the classic black cat on her with the fluffy tutu. I was picturing adorable whiskers and all that cuteness thinking this could be one of the last years for that. But, she held to her decision and daily asked me if I ordered up the costume. And, then a couple of days after school she told me some kids told her there was no such thing as Captain America Girl. Well, this mommy got all supportive defending the imaginary super-herio. In the end, her decision was unexpected, but was glad she choose something like that. And, then as Glodieblox has taken off, I have gone all super girl power. I mean, girls can totally be and do anything, right!? You can be a princess superhero. A princess cat superhero. A princess pirate superhero with adorable cat whiskers and a pirate mustache.
And, as I have been writing a presentation for next week where Glodieblox is one of my examples, I've stumbled on their blog. I've captured some below. Check out the girl power costumes and the tear jerker for me is the letter the husband of the owner wrote to his own daughter.
Here's to B and her love of math. Yes, she told me math was the highlight of her day yesterday. Loving math was literally the wish of her daddy on parent's night when we had to write wishes for our kids. You go, B! And, PS, because you pry got my math skills, I have some money tucked away for a tutor.
Now, go save the Galaxy!
Here's a link to the site and to their amazing video.
An Apology To My Future Daughter
Dearest Zelda (daughter),
I apologize that I’m going to have to lie to you.
I’m afraid there is a 99.99% chance you won’t grow up to be a princess.
I’m afraid I would rather you become an engineer.
I apologize that I wanted to have a boy.
I was afraid I’d lose you too quickly to Miley Cyrus and a biker boyfriend.
I was under the impression you would be taken advantage of.
I was afraid you wouldn’t be into building stuff.
I was afraid you wouldn’t want to build a treehouse with me.
I apologize that our toy store still looks like it did in the 1950′s.
I was afraid that you wouldn’t like ninja turtles and hot wheels.
I was afraid that you only liked stuffed animals and princesses.
I was under the impression that “the pink aisle” had changed.
I was under the impression that female role models existed to balance out the Barbie beauty queens, and that Bob the Builder and Lego Man weren’t the only options.
I apologize that our country has fallen behind 200 other countries where girls are actually testing better than boys in math and science.
I apologize that I haven’t done more to help improve the world for women.
I was under the impression that little girls grew up and had the same opportunities as men in the US workforce.
I was under the impression that LGBTQ and racial rights were the only ones that needed to improve.
I was afraid that being a feminist was not for men.
I was afraid that helping little girls might seem creepy.
I am done apologizing.
I am no longer afraid nor easily impressed.
I am inspired.
I am disrupting the pink aisle.
I am joining my wife, Debra Sterling (Mom), on her mission to inspire the next generation of female engineers.
I am joining GoldieBlox.
I am doing something to make sure my daughter will know that she is more than just a princess.
Love,
Beau (Dad)
I apologize that I’m going to have to lie to you.
I’m afraid there is a 99.99% chance you won’t grow up to be a princess.
I’m afraid I would rather you become an engineer.
I apologize that I wanted to have a boy.
I was afraid I’d lose you too quickly to Miley Cyrus and a biker boyfriend.
I was under the impression you would be taken advantage of.
I was afraid you wouldn’t be into building stuff.
I was afraid you wouldn’t want to build a treehouse with me.
I apologize that our toy store still looks like it did in the 1950′s.
I was afraid that you wouldn’t like ninja turtles and hot wheels.
I was afraid that you only liked stuffed animals and princesses.
I was under the impression that “the pink aisle” had changed.
I was under the impression that female role models existed to balance out the Barbie beauty queens, and that Bob the Builder and Lego Man weren’t the only options.
I apologize that our country has fallen behind 200 other countries where girls are actually testing better than boys in math and science.
I apologize that I haven’t done more to help improve the world for women.
I was under the impression that little girls grew up and had the same opportunities as men in the US workforce.
I was under the impression that LGBTQ and racial rights were the only ones that needed to improve.
I was afraid that being a feminist was not for men.
I was afraid that helping little girls might seem creepy.
I am done apologizing.
I am no longer afraid nor easily impressed.
I am inspired.
I am disrupting the pink aisle.
I am joining my wife, Debra Sterling (Mom), on her mission to inspire the next generation of female engineers.
I am joining GoldieBlox.
I am doing something to make sure my daughter will know that she is more than just a princess.
Love,
Beau (Dad)