Remember how in Christmas Vacation, Clark goes in search of THE perfect tree?! Well, Clarky and my hubs have something in common. Except Marc doesn't pack us up in the wooden station wagon with Grandma strapped to the top (ok, different movie). But, there are some similarities...
We did one of our favorite things, two years running, headed out to seriously one of the most beautiful places on earth - Ok, well at least in the mid-Atlantic - to chop down that magical Christmas tree. It's seriously a Ralph Lauren playground. Horses. Hunting dogs. Manors. Estates. Ginormous mansions. Whatever you want to call them. And, then we peasants roll into town. So here goes...
Marc and Sam headed out. The day is looking good.
The girls frolicking. Cue, the Ralph Lauren commercial.
Some tickling with Papa. Cue, the photo shoot.
Then Marc ponders the entire farm...for an hour and half...every inch of it. Tree by tree. I choose seventeen trees....all are rejected. But, he's determined map in hand. If anything is to be said, this man is a perfectionist (he chose me, right!? ha).
It seems so easy, and trust me those boots were made for walking that day. But, after consulting his dad and taking measurements, by golly we found it! I force EVERYONE to put on happy smiles.
Ready to chop it down. Sorry, Jodie, no video this year. I already opened the champagne at this point. Ok, really that came later once I knew we had paid and it was being put on top of our car. And, more on this in another post.
Betty and Jim joined us for the day.
Onto Sam. This guy was in his own world looking for pirate treasure with his map. Note the gloves and the boots...more to come on those soon.
And, now for the Diehls. We thank the Diehls for letting us in on their Griswold tradition. This is B and Julia. It was freezing, but they mostly ran around sans coats.
The Diehls. Joan, Brian, Julia & Schuyler.
Joan & I. We seriously don't look a day older than the first day I met her in November 2000 (yes, Joan, 13 years ago!) at Earle Palmer Brown.
Love this pic.
And, finally, this video is awesome (thanks, Joan). This is of the trees and the girls shaking.
Until next year Diehls! I'll bring the champagne.